[mythtv-users] Alsa volume control

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Nov 5 00:12:11 UTC 2004

On 11/04/2004 06:19 PM, Matthew Gleed wrote:

> I'm having a problem with not being able to adjust the volume within
> Mythfrontend using ALSA.  I've been going over the archives and I've
> seen a couple references to this problem without any resolution
> posted.  When ever I try to adjust the volume I see the OSD come up
> but it is always at 0 percent.  My audio output is fine as are the
> audio levels and I'm able to adjust the volume levels within
> alsamixer.  I'm using the audio on my motherboard which is provided by
> an intel ICH5 chipset.

What audio code are you running?  version .16, CVS, or Ed's latest patch?

> I think I'm pretty clear on how to configure the audio output device
> field.  However, I haven't found any documentation that was clear on
> what should be used in the mixer device field.

The mixer field should be "default" (without the quotes) if you are
using the "big audio update" patch.

>   So I have just assumed that the two fields should be configured the
> same.  If this isn't accurate can someone set me straight.  If anyone
> has any ideas as to why I cannot adjust the volume levels within the
> frontend I would appreciate it.  Do I need any of the ALSA plugins to
> be able to adjust volume?  Thanks!

Myth doesn't support changing the volume with ALSA yet unless you are
using the "big audio update" patch.  If you are using the audio patch, I
have noticed that I can't change the volume using the optical out with
my ICH4 mobo.  Not sure about the ICH5.  I just bought an ICH5 mobo with
coax S/PDIF output so I'll let you know how that goes.  Anyway the only
way I could get the volume control to work on the ICH4 was to use the 6
channel analog out to my receiver.

Also there is a problem with the latest audio patch where the volume
control can get stuck on a certain volume because the
increment/decrement amount is less than the smallest range adjustment
(if you don't understand what this means just take my word for it).

I just sent a patch against Ed's latest patch to the dev list which
improves Alsa support and should fix the volume control.  I am
rebuilding my dev machine right now so I can't actually test the volume,
but the audio works much better (no more audio lag).

HTH,
David