[mythtv-users] Hardware for Best TV-Out?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Nov 6 16:18:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Shawn wrote:

> Very cool. Finally got a chance to try out 480p and it worked, though
> the picture is slightly too tall, which is par for the course with my
> TV. Is it the same idea as adjusting underscan if I want to adjust
> vertical screen size/position?

 	No.  If you want it to be a standard signal, it *MUST* have 525
lines.  You could reduce the number of visible lines and leave the 525
alone.  Trouble with that is now you're software-compressing the video,
since you'd be running 720x400 or something.

 	The proper solution would be to adjust the TV so it doesn't
overscan as much.  Notice I didn't say *easy* solution... just the proper
one.

> Also, my TV claims to do 1080i, but anything I try for HDTV modelines
> out on the net make my screen go compressed and vertical vibrate flippy.

 	If you make a correct one, it should work.  Sync polarity should
be observed as per the standard.  If not, take the TV/transcoder back and
get one that isn't broken.

 	Oh, and if you actually find somewhere that actually *has* the
standards listed, do share.  I haven't been able to find it... :)

-Cory