[mythtv-users] Here we go again (LiveTV lag idea)...

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Nov 6 16:31:52 UTC 2004

 	Not to get in a flame war again, but I'd like some developer
comments on this idea.  There's been a thread on the ivtv-devel list about
the YUV bypass part of the ivtv driver, and it got me thinking of a good
use for it.

 	For those who still find themselves watching LiveTV, the channel
changing pause and CPU requirements (especially for bttv-based capture
cards) is a rather significant penalty.  I realize it's easier to play the
ringbuffer that's being recorded, but how tough would it be to play the
raw YUV data via an Xv overlay in LiveTV if it's truly live?  When
paused/FF/RW'd MythTV would have to switch to playing the ringbuffer
instead.

 	Just a thought... don't shoot the messenger... :)

-Cory