[mythtv-users] Here we go again (LiveTV lag idea)...

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Nov 6 18:05:26 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:31:52AM -0500, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>  	Not to get in a flame war again, but I'd like some developer
> comments on this idea.  There's been a thread on the ivtv-devel list about
> the YUV bypass part of the ivtv driver, and it got me thinking of a good
> use for it.
>
>  	For those who still find themselves watching LiveTV, the channel
> changing pause and CPU requirements (especially for bttv-based capture
> cards) is a rather significant penalty.  I realize it's easier to play the
> ringbuffer that's being recorded, but how tough would it be to play the
> raw YUV data via an Xv overlay in LiveTV if it's truly live?  When
> paused/FF/RW'd MythTV would have to switch to playing the ringbuffer
> instead.

IMO, if you're *using* LiveTV -- instead of just bypassing the box and
tuning directly on the attached TV/Monitor -- you're likely doing it
because you want to be able to use the features... which, of course,
you couldn't, if they weren't there.

I personally don't ever see that changing, at least not from the
primary developers as I read them.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi