[mythtv-users] Success! EPIA-M Fedora Core 2

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Mon Nov 8 04:49:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 07:52, Chris Brodie wrote:
> I'd love to hear more about successful combined front\back ends on
> EPIA-M's My board has just arrived and due to a mix-up[1] with some
> other stuff with my retailer I have an open invitation currently open to
> get my cash back.
>
> I'd love to hear more information \ opinions as to wether this is a good
> direction to go in. If there aren't any major problems that affect
> general useability I'd prefer EPIA-M's. I installed them a many clients
> homes and love the low heat(=fans) of them.
>
> I have read about some isolated reports of looks like saturating the DMA
> capabilities will lock up the machine. Is there a known workaround?

I've had some problems with my EPIA-M10000 but most of them have been
solved.  The only time my machine can lockup is if I play a DVD without
hardware acceleration for about 30 minutes to an hour, this is without
using the hard drive.  It has no problem with compiling for 2 hours.  I
believe it maybe overheating because I've slowed down my cpu fan and
North Queensland get very hot.  Also I haven't got the latest Unichrome
drivers and kernel drm installed, so they may fix the problem.
Strangely I can play DVDs without problem if I underclock the cpu by
80%.

I have mythtv running with libddmpeg.so hardware acceleration and it
works well.  I find rtc vsync works alot better then the drm vsync.  The
libviaXvMC hardware acceleration should be good when I install it.

Paul