[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon Linux TV Support

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Nov 8 12:42:00 UTC 2004

On 11/7/2004 11:26 PM, Marc Eisenbarth wrote:

>okay, so let's assume that I'm not interested in the AIW and all I'm
>interested in is getting the TV-out to work with the DVI->Component dongle.

I could never get my ATI DVI->Compenent adapter to work with Linux
displaying to a Samsung rear-projection.  Finally gave up on it several
months ago and sold the ATI and component adapter on eBay.

>Also, let's assume either I'm not going to be worried about the MPEG-2
>decoding overhead, and perhaps I'll transcode everything over to MPEG-4, so
>the lack of XvMC support will be a moot point. Also, let's assume I'm not
>interested in decoding 1920x1080 MPEG-2 stream (if this was the case, the
>XvMC support would be quite nice, granted)
>
>Given these caveats, is the ATI still a bad choice?

Sometimes it just isn't worth the headache.  If you are one to
experiment go ahead, but an nVidia card with a VGA to component adapter
may be a better option.

> As stated above, I'm
>interested in the option to use the DVI->Component adaptor and also be able
>to use S-Video out in a stable enviroment. I'm also interested in the
>presence or absence of features such as overscan/underscan and interlaced
>display support. Can you shead light on the pros and cons of ATI versus
>NVidia in these areas?

Sorry, don't really have any light to shed on this one, perhaps someone
else will be able to.
--
David