[mythtv-users] Got an Xbox, Now what???

Paul Kidwell tmb at ieee.org
Mon Nov 8 22:15:47 UTC 2004

The WAF on my MythTV system went from 0 to 100% within the first couple
of days of having it running and it just keeps getting better and
better.

So much so that when I mentioned that I wanted to get an Xbox to use as
a front end I wound up getting an one for my birthday.

So, here I sit with an Xbox... no games,... just an Xbox,... and a wife
asking how long it's going to take me to get it up and running.

I've been to all the sites like http://bit.blkbk.com/,
http://www.xbox-scene.com/, & http://www.how2xbox.com and have read all
that I could about the various hardware mods available.

I was leaning towards a hardware mod (Xecuter 3, maybe even waiting for
the "Control panel" to come out), but then discovered that a software
mod's been developed for a version 1.6 Xbox. (which is what I have, I
haven't checked if it's a "b" yet) The level of soldering required for a
hardware mod is of no real difficulty to me (I design PC boards for a
living).

I've managed to get myself to a state of indecision. Should I go
hardware mod, or software mod.

If I go with a hardware mod, is there a recommended bios to use?

On power up, will it boot directly to MythTV? Or are there a couple of
extra steps that I'll have to teach the wife???

Side note:

Ran into some trouble last night when I couldn't record three things at
the same time for my wife. She asked why not. I told her that we only
had two capture cards. She asked "Well, can you put another one in?". I
told her I could, I just needed to get another PVR250. She changed the
subject at that point and told me which two to record as she watch the
third.

Why do I think I'm getting another PVR250 for Christmas???

Paul