[mythtv-users] pcHDTV HD-3000 in the house

Tue Nov 9 00:32:18 UTC 2004

Took the afternoon off to play with my new HD-3000 card.

The "new" drivers that come with it are suppose to support both the
HD-2000 and the HD-3000.  Unlike the previous drivers, you do not
"patch" your kernel -- you just build and install, and your done.   In
theory.

I have a custom 2.6.7 kernel that I built for my specific hardware.  I
tried installing the new "FedoreCore2" drivers against this kernel.
Unfortunately, while the HD-3000 is detected, it is not detected
correctly and does not work.

I built a 2.6.9 kernel using the same config (make oldconfig) as I used
for my 2.6.7 kernel.  I then installed the "FedoraCore2" drivers against
that kernel.  Now the card is detected correctly, and seems to work quit
well.

I did have to add:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
alias char-major-81-1 cx8800
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to my /etc/modprobe.conf file.  I did not do that when playing with the
2.6.7 kernel, so I may have to try that kernel again.

Unfortunately, the "FedoreCore2" drivers do not seem to work correclty
with my HD-2000 card.  The BTTV module gets installed just fine, but the
card will not tune.  dtvsignal reports a strength of zero, no matter
what channel I try to tune the HD-2000 to.  The red LED on the back of
the card is also on solid.

I intially tried to go into mythsetup and just change "/dev/dtv0" to
"/dev/dtv1" to get it use the HD-3000.  That did not work quite right
for some reason.  I reran mythsetup and told it to "clear all capture
card settings".  I then set it up to use "/dev/dtv1", and now Myth is
working quite happily.

While the HD-3000 card is a 3.3v card, it does *not* have the notch near
the backplane to allow it to plug into a 3.3v *only* PCI slot.  I
noticed this in the picture on the pcHDTV web site, but assumed it was
just a mock-up.

John