[mythtv-users] Hardware for Best TV-Out?

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Wed Nov 10 09:50:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

>> > I´m currently using a gf4mx with a selfmade vga2rgb converter
>> > (http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/) which is giving me uber-
>> superb
>> > quality on the frontend and good quality @watching recordings.
>>
>> I just installed my box with this cable:
>> http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/
>> I built my machine with a 9200SE for this purpose.  And I must say, the
>> image looks absolutely stunning on my 32" Philips tv.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Mark
>
> Just out of interest do you feel like having full resolution on your
> recordings? As my livetv/recorded shows are just not that great as the gui
> is, even the osd looks definitely worse than anything in the gui
> (video-epg
> e.g.) It just feels like its missing some lines or doing some
> interlace->deinterlace-> Interlace conversion (no deint filter).

Most channels (and recordings) look great; no problems.  But I do have a
problem with one channel and have just turned off transcoding to see if
that makes a difference.  The osd looks good as well.
I did not turn on deinterlacing, since I have not yet figured out how to
get the display on my tv with progressive scan.  Will need to figure that
out (if my tv supports it).

And I just played a part of a dvd and it looks stunning, just as it did
with my RGB dvd player (without progressive scan).

> Which capturecard/resolution/modeline? Pal or ntsc?

PVR-250, 720x576 (PAL), default quality settings (4500/6000).
Modeline "720x540"      15.10  720 762 834 940  540 545 550 621 interlace
composite
I started out with another, but tuned the modeline to fit exactly on my tv
using xvidtune.  The original:
Modeline "PAL1"         15.101 720 770 842 968  540 565 570 624 Composite
interlace

Kind regards,

Mark Wormgoor