[mythtv-users] Help with IVTV 2.0 Settings

Mike Wood mike at woodsnest.com
Wed Nov 10 14:35:33 UTC 2004

Hey gang, I'm looking for advice on the parameters everyone's using with
the IVTV drivers.  I just rebuilt my backend machine with Gentoo, 2.6.9
kernel and installed IVTV-0.2.0-rc2n.  It was time to move on from
RH9!!  :-)  I live in NTSC country and when I go to watch TV, or record
something and then watch it later I get pretty badly garbled video.  It
looks like the default Codec Parameters in IVTV these days are coming
up like this:

Codec parameters
aspect      : 2
audio       : 0x00e9
bframes     : 3
bitrate_mode: 0
bitrate     : 4500000 (set to this value by Mythtv)
bitrate_peak: 6000000  (set to this value by Mythtv)
dnr_mode    : 0
dnr_spatial : 0
dnr_temporal: 0
dnr_type    : 0
framerate   : 0
framespergop: 15
gop_closure : 1
pulldown    : 0
stream_type : 0

I tried changing dnr_spatial & dnr_temporal both to a value of 8 (right
in the middle) and that seems to clear up th garbled video, but instead
it seems to be skipping a lot of frames, so those settings aren't
working either.  I also tried setting dnr_mode to 3, but that didn't
help with the garbled video.  So, rather than experiment with 1000
combinations of values, I thought I'd ask the experts.  What's everyone
using?  Oh, btw, I'm capturing at 720x480 and playing back on a EPIA
using Unichrome drivers, in case that matters.  I know my Epia setup is
ok, it worked before I upgraded the backend.

Any thoughts appreciated....
Mike