[mythtv-users] Does mythfilldatabase apply updates to program guide info?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Nov 10 18:41:59 UTC 2004

Phill Edwards wrote:
> When you run mythfilldatabase does it contain smarts to update existing
> program information? In other words:
>
> - if the details (whether title or start/end time) for a program have
> changed does it find that program and update it?
> - if a program has been cancelled and replaced by another program does
> it handle that?
> - if it finds a "hole" in the program guide (eg missing 02:00 - 05:00
> guide details for a particular day) but now has that info in the latest
> guide xml file, does it fill the hole?

You got a bit caught up in imagining a complex way to do an
incremental diff. It's much simpler than that =). It removes
that data for 'tomorrow' and replaces the entire day with the
current data for 'tomorrow'. It then replaces any "partial" days
where there is little or no data in the evening and adds any new
days of data at the end.

This way you should have up to date data by record time and it
only need to grab two days of data normally rather than demanding
all the data every day.

> I have been assuming it does have these smarts - otherwise you'd only
> ever retrieve the guide info for 1 day 7 days from now on a daily basis
> rather than getting the next 7 days every day. However, when I run
> mythfilldatabase (from the command line) I get hundreds of duplicate
> record errors so I'm wondered if it only ever inserts new & deletes old
> data without trying to update program info that's already there.

Either mythfilldatabase isn't clearing the old data for the same
time period as the new data being fed in from the grabber or there
is duplicate data in the new info.

--  bjm