[mythtv-users] To TiVo or mythTV it

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 20:36:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:29 -0700 (MST), Rich
<yahoo.rich at bladeracing.com> wrote:
> 1. Is there a straight to the point running document that compares the
> functionality and ability differences between TiVo and mythTV?
I haven't seen a direct comparison but featurewise I think mythtv is ahead.

> 2. Now for a loaded question.  For those that have gone the mythTV route.
> If you walked into COSTCO and saw a Series2 TiVo 80hr box sitting there
> for $268 with a $100 rebate would you have rather bought that or dumped
> $1200 into a Linux mythTV box?  Would your wife agree?
I would much rather dump $2000 into a linux mythtv box than be locked
into whatever tivo thinks I need. Fortunately I didn't spend anywhere
near that. (I think I did mine for about $600-$700) Also tivo has
downgraded the functionality of their sets. This is done when it dials
home and gets programming info. My mythtv box will never do this. In
fact it will only increase in features and allows anyone with
knowledge of C++ to modify it. As for the WAF, she lets me choose
things in the electronics department because I do a lot of research
and I am practical about costs but I don't mind spending for quality
stuff. So far the wife has been happy with my purchases though she's
not nearly as excited about the PVR concept as I am. I think she is
coming around though.

> 3. HD-2000 vs. HD-3000.  I realize many may not have the 3000 yet but this
> might be best answered by those that have used the 2000.  Why buy the 3000
> when the 2000 has two coaxal reception ports?
You can no longer buy the 2000. There aren't that many differences.

> 4. On the surface it looks like there are more PVR vs. pcHDTV cards in
> use.  Any opinions as to why?
Becuase you need more hardware to decode/encode the HDTV stream and
most people don't have HDTV yet and are still using regular cable. The
other downside is the uncertainty about what will happen with the
broadcast flag and getting mythtv to work with non-OTA HDTV.

The only feature that I think would be cool about tivo that mythtv
probably won't have is the video on demand feature that they are
partnering with netflix to provide. However I don't think I'd miss it
too much because I feel the MPAA will put some tight restrictions on
it's use. I'll just continue to go to the movie rental place.
-Chris
--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi