[mythtv-users] Urgent question about the pcHDTV 3000

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Wed Nov 10 21:10:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 15:30, Shawn wrote:
> On the website it says it only support terrestrial HDTV broadcasts, and
> not cable HDTV.
>
> Does this mean it could not accept a video input from the cable
> company's HDTV tuner?
>
> I was expecting to be able to use the pcHDTV 3000 like I currently use
> my PVR-250, and that is as an SVIDEO capture with myth controlling
> channels via serial cable.

Please do a bit of research before asking on the list.  This has been
covered many times before.

There are no cards that will parse a real HDTV signal from component
inputs.  You can't send real HDTV over composite or s-video
connections.  Your only option is to catch the original digital stream,
and unless you cable signal is unencrypted or your cable box has a
firewire port, you're out of luck.

The HD-x000 cards are useless with a cable box.  (Sure, you could use it
for NTSC, but nobody uses the NTSC side of the cards).

--PC