[mythtv-users] Whole house Myth setup

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Thu Nov 11 03:36:28 UTC 2004

Yan-Fa Li wrote:

> Wow you lucky B*******, is the first thought that goes through my
> skull :)
>
> Anyhow, booting them off NFS is completely doable and reasonable.
> Look at LTSP or bootable Compact Flash IDE converter cards to
> bootstrap the front end systems.
>
> One thought.  Slave backends.  If you keep the fileserver as only a
> file server, you could implement separate cheap and basic back ends
> that write back to NFS which are also diskless.  A few per.  Just a
> thought.  That way they would be replaceable and any downtime you need
> could be done on a case by case basis.  It also scales a lot better.
>
> Yan

I wonder if you could just boot with the compact flash, and yank down a
copy of the mythfrontend from the master backend, so that when you
updated the mythfrontend on the backend, you updated all the boxes in
the house?  that way you'd never have to mess with the frontend again?
One thing keeping me from putting a couple more frontends in the house
is that I'd have to install the new version on each machine every time.
That's getting to be a lot of admin.