[mythtv-users] re: Urgent question about the pcHDTV 3000

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Thu Nov 11 03:53:49 UTC 2004

On 10 Nov 2004 at 16:30, Shawn wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 16:10 -0500, Preston Crow wrote:
> > Please do a bit of research before asking on the list.  This has been
> > covered many times before.
>
> I did cover the forum at the pcHDTV site pretty well, and it was
> inconclusive. I wasn't aware this was covered in succinct terms
> anywhere. The difficulty has been people speaking ambiguously about
> industry buzzwords and acronyms.
>
> God damn, this HDTV BS is like listening to D&D geek speak. I'll
> obviously never be an A/V nerd.

WHOA! Shawn!

Don't get your panties in a knot, and don't let Preston Crow or anyone else here ruffle
your feathers. We really are here to help you.

Now then, go over to:

http://www.avsforum.com

and subscribe. It's free. Nose around there for a couple of days, do some searches,
and this whole HDTV alphabet soup will begin to make sense. Don't expect any MythTV
or Linux info there (at least not enough to bother with), but absolutely everything else
that pertains to home theater is discussed. Some of the best minds in the industry hang
out there. Lots of FAQ's to read too. For example, all the info about what kind of signal
can be carried on which kind of connection is all discussed at AVSforum.

Then, you'll find the archived MythTV list at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

where everything that has ever been discussed on the mythtv-users list can be found,
and since you'll have such a well-rounded knowledge of all things Home-Theater from
the AVSforum, things discussed on the MythTV-users list will all then make perfect
sense. The MythTV-users list (and the archives at Gossamer) is where you will find all
the Linux MythTV stuff that is missing from AVSforum.

Simple.

BTW, I asked the same questions that you asked about a year ago, either at AVSforum
or MythTV-users. All I want is a way to capture HD from a component connection
source, or VGA connection source, or an RGBHV connection source (there's those
pesky acronymns again) from a cable box or satalite reciever. You can't get there from
here, at least not this week... Seems simple enough, I just want to squirt the signal that
would normally go to a High-Definition TV set or monitor into my computer so that I can
record it on the hard-drive. The hardware to do this does not exist. You can almost do it
if the box has a firewire port, but it's barely High-Def.

OH YEAH, I don't remember where, but somewhere on the AVSforum is information or
a link to information that lists every over-the-air HDTV station that you should be able to
see from your house. That will answer the "I don't even know if there is any HD
broadcasts in my area" question.

AND, to put a fine point on it, the pcHDTV 3000 card is useful for receiving over-the-air-
HDTV broadcasts and not useful for very much else.

Marvin