[mythtv-users] Trouble with HD playback

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 11 08:21:14 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 18:51, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > I tried mplayer, which seems to confirm that.  I haven't yet researched
> > > what else this motherboard can take, but assuming it could take a fast
> > > enough Socket A CPU, do you have a suggestion?
> >
> > Something with 512K cache, and hopefully, a 400MHz FSB, if you can get
> > that fast. I went as fast as I could in an Athlon XP w/my 3200.
>
> The motherboard I have will only go up to 333MHz FSB.  From what I can
> tell, the best I could do here would be an Athlon XP 3000+ with a 512K
> cache.  What do you think -- good enough, or will I need to upgrade
> the motherboard too to be able to get HD playback?

Can't be absolutely certain, but I think you'd probably be in decent shape
there. I can watch a stream while also recording another one and
commercial-cutting a 3rd. Had minor stutter issues when the OSD came on when
commercial flagging was set at the medium cpu time setting, but they're gone
w/it set to low (I don't get around to watching most things for a week or two
anymore anyhow). You might start to see problems with all of the above going
on, but I think it'd be enough the majority of the time.

> Actually, over at
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-381&depa=1
>, it says this has a 333MHz FSB, but at
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_11672
>,00.html, it looks like 400MHz, so I'm a bit confused.

Like Yan said, there are both 333 and 400 FSB variants of this chip. AMD may
not fab the 333 version anymore, while NewEgg still has stock.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...