[mythtv-users] Trouble with HD playback

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Thu Nov 11 08:33:43 UTC 2004

It's $50 (Pricegrabber) difference for 40Hz difference (2.16GHz vs
2.2GHz).  An Athlon 3200 is not that much faster than a 3000, don't
believe the hype.  It's also well know that Athlon's don't benefit from
FSB increases, unlike P4s, because of the instruction pipeline design
differences.  The money would be better used in a better quieter
heatsink or adding memory.

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 19:09, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
>
>>There are 333 and 400FSB Athlon Processors.  If you MB only supports 333
>>buy 333.  The 400 is wasted on your board.
>

> More to the point, clock multipliers aren't always adjustable (varies from
> mobo to mobo, chip to chip), so a chip designed to run on a 400MHz bus with a
> 5.5x multiplier would run a good amount slower. If you can adjust the
> multiplier and the price is the same, I'd get the 400 variant, just in case I
> ever upgraded to a board w/a 400MHz FSB.

True true.  Though upgrading an Athlon XP board is becoming increasingly
long odds in a world with Athlon 64s.

>>Also many boards have
>>limitations as to how much RAM you can run at 400MHz.  My current DFI is
>>not rated to run modules above 512MB at 400MHz.  Therefore since I
>>wanted to use 2GB I had to run at 333MHz.  Check the manual that comes
>>with your motherboard.
>

> No dedicated Myth box has any real need for anything over 512MB of RAM though.

True.  I have 256MB in mine and it runs just great.