[mythtv-users] Trouble with HD playback

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Nov 11 14:36:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:16:00AM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 19:09, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> > There are 333 and 400FSB Athlon Processors.  If you MB only supports 333
> > buy 333.  The 400 is wasted on your board.
>
> More to the point, clock multipliers aren't always adjustable (varies from
> mobo to mobo, chip to chip), so a chip designed to run on a 400MHz bus with a
> 5.5x multiplier would run a good amount slower. If you can adjust the
> multiplier and the price is the same, I'd get the 400 variant, just in case I
> ever upgraded to a board w/a 400MHz FSB.

I must confess a little ignorance here.  Given a motherboard that can
only support a 333MHz FSB:

Are you saying that if I purchase an Athlon XP 3000+ rated for a 400MHz
FSB, it might actually run slower than if I purchase an Athlon XP rated
for a 333MHz FSB?  If so, should I be looking at a lower-end Athlon XP?

Thanks again.

-- John