[mythtv-users] Generic newbie questions

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 23:04:40 UTC 2004

> I'm just foaming at the mouth wanting to get started on this project! I
> would like a little more 'basic' info tho. From a connection viewpoint,
> how does a MythTV box connect to your A/V system? I mean, I presume:
> -a coax from your cable/satallite/antenna goes into the PVR-250 card
> -the MythTV software grabs the signal and sends it to the hard drive
> -a cable from the video card (S-video) sends the video to the TV ??
> -sound is sent to the TV via what? a 5.1 sound card?
>
> Questions:
> 1. Does the MythTV box need a monitor?
Yes
>   a. If yes, does the monitor have to sit next to the TV?
The TV Can be the monitor if you have the ability to output to it

>   b. What is on the monitor, the menus?
Everything

> 2. I have a 24U server rack in a back room. I see references of a
> backend and a frontend box. Can the backend box be mounted in the rack?
Yes the backend is sort of the server function of the program it
records the shows and stores the files it would need to have the
encoders

> The cable coax would then go to the backend box to receive the signal?
Yes or whatever your particular input would be

> Then I would need a frontend box sitting beside the TV that would get
> the recorded shows from the backend box via the ethernet?
Yes. you would need the front end near your tv or other output device
to allow you to view shows, and accept the IR signals from the remote.
the best way is ethernet 100Mbit Switched works great for me some do
seem to use GigE but I havent run into bandwidth constraints

>  Hm, if the
> remote goes with the PVR-250 and that is in the server rack doing the
> recording, how does that work?
You can look at the LIRC project or other set of instructions on what
recievers work or building your own reciever, your not tied to only
using the remote that came with the PVR-250

>        I'm not afraid of compiling kernels, etc. Been working with linux for 5
> years or more. I just want to make sure I understand the basics,
> concepts, whatever the term is, on how this system is connected and used.

Other Suggested reading is Jarods Guide for installing using Fedora
Core2 he explains from start to finish how to build a frontend/backend
on the same box, then adding front ends isnt too complicated

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/