[mythtv-users] Wired article on TIVO macrovision patch

Lachlan McIntosh lachlan at directions.com.au
Fri Nov 12 02:07:00 UTC 2004

www.wired.com has an interesting article on the new tivo patch that enforces macrovision.

myth keeps looking better and better.

Thanks

Lachlan McIntosh
lachlan at directions.com.au
Mobile: 0409 641471

-----Original Message-----
From: "Shawn"<core at enodev.com>
Sent: 12/11/2004 11:45:19 AM
To: "mythtv"<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Undefined symbol error when running CVS

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I was trying to portray was
Jarod's understanding of what was horked. I said "When libraries are
incompatible in such a way as you say, one of a number of things
happen", the key phrase being "as you say".

In fact, your assertion is more or less what I've been saying all along,
and thanks for mirroring it. You even use the phrase "binary
compatibility". I may have been wrong about why the problem existed in
the first place, but I was spot on on WHAT the problem was.

I believe Jarod to be wrong in that he said:
        "I believe "That link error crap" as you so eloquently put it,
        is CVS myth being built against 0.16 Myth libraries."
You say:
        Myth links against the libraries it compiled

...and I get jumped all over for trying to help because I'm wrong? Teach
me to try and help anyone... Let it be known henceforth that all
would-be helpers will get the smack-down if they do not meet the
approval of Isaac Jarod, as judged by the cut of their jiff (sp?).

Let me put a point on it for anyone who chooses not to understand:
      * I contend, as Isaac says below, that it's the binary trying to
        run-time link with a library it was not compiled with, one which
        is likely dangling outside the install prefix set in the CVS
        myth's settings.pro
      * I did not state unequivocally that toolchain was to blame
      * I may have been wrong about gcc/binutils being the cause of
        binary compatibility (see above), but binary compatibility is
        indeed what I originally described the problem to be.

Good day.