[mythtv-users] hdtv card for australia/linux/mythtv

Dave david.collett at dart.net.au
Fri Nov 12 03:01:40 UTC 2004

Regarding HD dvb broadcasts in Australia:

The BAD news:

Unless you have a very expensive television, you wont be able to tell
the difference between HD and SD anyway (except maby with sound...)

Unless you live in a 'capital city' (oh, and btw Canberra, ie. the
Capital of AUSTRALIA, is aparently not 'capital' enough...) there is no
usefull HD content (only demo loops or upscaled regular content). In the
capitals, there is some but not a huge amount I dont think.

The GOOD news:

You dont have to worry about having to choose, or spend extra money,
because you get HDTV for free when you buy a dvb card anyway, read on.

SD-only dvb cards dont exist on the Australian market. Thats because all
dvb cards these days are very simple hardware-wise, they just tune the
the correct frequency and suck down the entire transport stream of that
station (including HD and SD channels all at the same time)

Its the rest of you hardware and software that determines how well HDTV
playback will work for you. As an example, mythtv running on an athlon
2500-XP with an nvidia GF4MX (onboard nforce2) will play back HD content
just fine.

Personally, I have a 'cheap expensive tv' (if that makes sense) its a
palsonic 76cm 'HDTV ready' one. It will accept and display HDTV formats
such as 1080i and 720p. However, I rather suspect (ie. know for sure)
that it doesnt actually have enough dots on the front to display that
resolution clearly. But neither do panasonic and sony sets that cost a
lot more.

I run it at 1280x720 progressive at 60Hz (ie. 720p in HDTV-speak)
throught the VGA input which is very convienient. Everything I watch is
SD, but I reckon it probably looks a whole lot better through myth than
a real STB because myth does cool stuff like de-interlacing, and
excellent upscaling, It looks bloody amazing and I cant imagine real HD
content looking much better anyway (though I'd like the 5.1 audio that
the HD comes with).

Regarding choosing a dvb card that will work in linux, I *think* that
anything you can buy at the moment will work but I'm not sure. For what
its worth, I have two that work great, one is a DVICO FusionHDTV-lite
and the other is a Hauppage WinTV Nova-t. The project which provides
linux drivers for dvb cards is 'dvb-kernel' they have a mailing list
which you should be able to search. The bottom line is, if the
dvb-kernel driver supports it, myth will work with it.

Dave

Dave <david.collett at dart.net.au>