[mythtv-users] MythTV and TiVo feature comparison

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Nov 13 13:54:23 UTC 2004

Here's a few more...

The HD TiVo has 2 over-the-air and 2 DirectTV tuners, though you can
only use a total of 2 at a time.  The DirectTV TiVo has 2 tuners.  It's
possible to build a Myth box with a large number of tuners, mostly
limited by PCI slots (though I think the limit is 4 pcHDTV cards); more
with multiple backends.

MythTV supports multiple frontend and backend machines in a flexible
configuration.  TiVo supports shipping recordings from one (series 2)
TiVo to another, but the schedulers do not cooperate to resove conflicts.

TiVo (the company) often provides warnings when changes to popular shows
are likely to cause scheduling conflicts.  There's no paid staff of
MythTV people to do so.

MythTV, because it uses general-purpose hardware and software and is
user-customizable, is much more accessible to people with various
disabilities.  Some examples I've heard of:
* the video preview/thumbnails allows someone who has trouble reading to
select the show they would like to see
* using the LCD interface allows a blind person to navigate the menus
via text-to-speech hardware

-Doug