[mythtv-users] Re: nuv export speed

Lonnie Borntreger myth at borntreger.com
Mon Nov 15 01:28:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 23:53 +0000, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
> Tim Sailer <tps at buoy.com> wrote:
> >> It seems to be very slow, ie 3FPS, or about 10% an hour.
> >>
> >> Is this normal?
>
> > Yup. Renice all the transcode processes to -19, and you should gain
> > some speed.
>
> I would highly recommend *AGAINST* that.  renicing to -19 will give it
> priority over everything else on the system, and basically that machine will
> be damn useless until the transcode completes.  Bad idea.
>
> Renice it to 0 if you want (rather than 19), but honestly, this won't really
> affect the overall speed much unless your machine is busy, and in that case,
> you will be affecting other things on the system.
>
> Renicing a CPU hog to -19 is NOT a good idea ;)

Probably the best thing to do is have a SMP machine.  That pretty much
allows the transcode processes to hog an entire CPU and not affect
anything else.

Just for fun, I took out the nice commands (for the export_VCD module)
and ran it.  I might have gained a whole 1 minute for a 1/2 hour show.
Seems to me to be a 1-to-1 match in show length (in time) and exporting
length (in time).

Oh, did I mention that my tuner, MythTV backend, and transcoder is also
a desktop system, running lots of "other" apps.

Lonnie