[mythtv-users] What's the best way to keep up with ATrpms updates?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 02:00:17 UTC 2004

Many will say "if it aint broke, don't fix it'.  Me, I am an engineer,
and I say 'If it aint broke I aint tweaked it enough' and I will get
the latest whatever-I-can.

That said, I think this is a great question.  I too would like to
know, having now got a working Myth, how do I stay at the bleeding
edge, without busting it all up?

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:47:45 +0000, Phill Edwards
<phill_edwards at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a mythtv box up and running. As I built it following Jarod Wilson's
> build guide it's therefore a FC2 o/s with Axel Thimm's RPMs. I'm wondering
> what is the best way to keep up to date with the latest releases on this
> type of setup:
>
> - Do you just do "apt-get dist-upgrade" and hope everything turns out OK?
> - What if I only want to upgrade the mythtv suite - would that be "apt-get
> install mythtv-suite", or
> - "apt-get install mythtv-frontend" if I only wanted to upgrade the
> frontend?
>
> How risky are these upgrades? Can things that once worked be broken after
> the upgrade and if so how do you back out? Does apt-get keep your existing
> config files after a package upgrade (such as xorg.conf) or will I need to
> redo those?
>
> Finally, how do I see what is fixed in each package before I decide whether
> to upgrade or not?
>
> I'm being a bit cautious here because now I'm up and running I don't want to
> stuff it all up!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Phill

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH