[mythtv-users] Re: What's the best way to keep up with ATrpms updates?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Mon Nov 15 10:06:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 01:47:45AM +0000, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I've got a mythtv box up and running. As I built it following Jarod
> Wilson's build guide it's therefore a FC2 o/s with Axel Thimm's RPMs. I'm
> wondering what is the best way to keep up to date with the latest releases
> on this type of setup:
>
> - Do you just do "apt-get dist-upgrade" and hope everything turns out OK?

Yes, but look at apt's preview of what will happen.

> - What if I only want to upgrade the mythtv suite - would that be "apt-get
> install mythtv-suite", or
> - "apt-get install mythtv-frontend" if I only wanted to upgrade the
> frontend?

No, that would no update dependencies (unless they are new, or the
dependencies are versioned), only the named packages.

> How risky are these upgrades? Can things that once worked be broken
> after the upgrade and if so how do you back out? Does apt-get keep
> your existing config files after a package upgrade (such as
> xorg.conf) or will I need to redo those?

Config files are not replaced, new ones appear as *.rpmnew.

> Finally, how do I see what is fixed in each package before I decide
> whether to upgrade or not?

Sometimes the changelog is illuminating, sometimes it does not get
updated :/

> I'm being a bit cautious here because now I'm up and running I don't
> want to stuff it all up!

Usually, when there are major changes that may break something, they
are either put in a less stable repo (testing or bleeding) and/or the
old working versions kept for a while. So you have the possibility to
downgrade if something is not working. In mythtv context you must also
consider backing up your mysql database in case the upgrades and
downgrades change the upstream version of myth (and so the mysql
layout).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net