[mythtv-users] Re: nuv export speed

Jonathan Markevich mythtv at jonandtina.net
Mon Nov 15 17:21:10 UTC 2004

Lonnie Borntreger wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 23:07 -0400, Jonathan Markevich wrote:
>

>>What?  Are you trying to say you get a 30 minute show to export in 30
>>minutes?  That seems to fly in the face of everyone else's experiences.
>>I've pretty much accepted that I'll only get ~7 FPS, or just shy of 4
>>hours per hour.  This is unbelievably, aggravatingly slow.
>>

>Yup, note that this is "Export to VCD" (MPEG1??), not DVD or anything
>like that.  Rough calculations, I take a 1/2 hour show, remove the
>commercials, that leaves around 22-24 minutes (guessing), and it take
>24-32 minutes to "Export".

I'm doing VCD exports, because the XviD ones were way too blocky for my
eye, and I'm archiving stuff to VCD/DVD (low res DVD, that is).  It
takes 4 hours per hour!!!

>>For comparison purposes; I have a Sempron 2400+ with 256 MB RAM, running
>>the latest KnoppMyth.  Yeah I know, 256 isn't enough.
>>
>>If you are getting "real time" transcoding, can you tell us your setup
>>and version information?
>>

>I have an ASUS A7M266-D with dual Athlon 1700+'s, 512MB Registered RAM,
>a nVidia GTS 256, and around 230GB of ATA100 drives (only 10G or so set
>up for MythTV).  Other than the SMP part, it's nothing special.

The drives shouldn't matter, the video card shouldn't matter, and I do
have a slightly faster CPU, though just one of them.  So it's either
ram-starved or the version of transcode introduced some speed problem
(or on the other hand, you have a fixed one).

My box says it's using transcode-0.6.12, and I'm using Kernel 2.4... you?

P.S. I just checked apt-get and transcode is scheduled for an update,
though it's very slight.  I'll post if it fixes it.