[mythtv-users] Streaming video from web

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:56:09 UTC 2004

> ... I want to watch my recordings (the news for example)
> from anywhere in the world without having to download the entire recording
> first.
>
> Couple of questions:
> 1. Has someone already done something like this, and if so, how? (I can't
> imagine I thought of this feature first)

Three places to look:

1) mythtv mail list archives - this has been discussed before

2) dsmyth filters for Windows and winmyth/mythweb
http://dsmyth.sf.net and http://winmyth.sf.net

3) Videolan - it can be a streaming server  - http://www.videolan.org/streaming/

> 2. Is there a way to transcode recordings but keeping the original ones as
> well (this way I can try to figure out how to transcode recordings from
> within Myth but keep my original recordings, since I still want that great
> quality when I just watch the recordings at home).

try nuvexport - http://forevermore.net/mythtv

or transcode directly from the commandline if you want to be hardcore

> 3. Any other pointers / tips / wishes that I could use?
>
> I'd really like this feature to be in my Myth(web) system but I don't
> exactly know where to start.

you can configure the links in mythweb for recorded shows to stream
video to the dsmyth filters. It's in the mythweb config files. You'll
need to open security on your myth box to allow dsmyth filters to
connect the the "backend", but other than that, it works.

-Ross