[mythtv-users] DVB-t and disk usage

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Nov 16 08:25:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:52:10PM +0000, Julian Edwards wrote:
> Christopher McEwan wrote:
>
> >I have 3 recordings that are 1 hour long on my system just now (taken
> >from DVB-T in the UK)
> >
> >The sizes vary from 1.2GB to 2GB,

Thats 2.8 Mbit/s to  4.7 Mbit/s

> The backend log tells you what the bit rate is when it tunes the channel
> so you can't work out file size from that.  It's quite enlightening as
> to what the broadcasters think they can get away with.  Eg Channel 5 is
> often less than 2Mb/s.

So it does!

I see in my log (also UK DVB-t) ranges from 1.65 to 15.00 Mbit/s!
4.35, 6.50 and 15.00 are the most common.  I don't think these can be
the actual bitrates received though as they are too exact - perhaps
they are the max bitrate or something like that?  15 Mbit/s would be
6.2 GB/hour which is way more than I see for anything.

Here is a histogram of bitrates in my log

      1  1.65 Mbit/s
      3  4.00 Mbit/s
     13  4.35 Mbit/s
      1  6.00 Mbit/s
     16  6.50 Mbit/s
      7  8.00 Mbit/s
     17 15.00 Mbit/s

The 1.65 Mbit/s is bid-up-tv the video of which I attached to Radio 4
so I could record stuff off Radio 4.