[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal

Travis Kelley rhatguy at comcast.net
Tue Nov 16 15:20:27 UTC 2004

Very interesting bill...but perhaps there is a loophole.  In section 212
there is an exemption IF

(A) no fixed copy of the altered version of the motion picture is
created by such computer program or other technology; and

(B) no changes, deletions or additions are made by such computer program
or other technology to commercial advertisements, or to network or
station promotional announcements, that would otherwise be performed or
displayed before, during or after the performance of the motion
picture.';

Now I'm no lawyer but my reading of that says if you don't actually
modify the recording you can still skip it.  Also in a previous section
in mentions AUDIO and video content...now lets assume you recorded
something on your vcr.  You're watching along and come to a commercial,
so you press fast forward.  Doesn't your vcr cut the sound out?  Are you
"skipping" the sound?  But the vcr doesn't actually modify the
recording.  Perhaps they had to put that in there for that reason?!?!
Who knows.  But definately a scarey bill.

This whole thing is contained under "Motion Pictures".  When I think of
motion pictures I think movies....does that include tv shows to?