[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:35:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:44:17 -0600, Lane Schwartz <dowobeha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Skipping parts of the show is OK if and only if,
>
> (1) the computer program doesn't save an altered copy of the show, and

Well I know you can save a cutlist and transcode a show based on that
but the actual commercial skipping part doesn't save an altered copy
of the show. In terms of adding cut points and cutting out sections
(in this case commercials) then every single video editor would be at
fault.

> (2) the computer program doesn't make "changes, deletions or
> additions" to commercials, and

Aside from the cutlist listed above, mythtv doesn't do any of this. It
simply jumps over the portion of the video that it thinks is a
commercial. it doesn't actually change anything.

> (3) the maker or distributor of the program (or device) puts a
> "provides a clear and conspicuous notice" at the beginning of the show
> that the program has been altered from its original form

This would be pretty easy to do with the OSD.
--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi