[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal<- eff

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Nov 16 17:39:58 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 11:15 am, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
> Interesting, although the last itme I checked, I pay for programming
> with
> cable (or satellite) services.  I remember when cable TV meant
> commercial
> free TV - sort of like satellite radio is now...
>
> I shouldn't have to sit there and watch commercials too.
>
> Paul

Hey Paul,

I personally do not remember cable tv ever being commercial free.  And I
remember when cable tv was introduced.  I've remember when MTV played music
videos.  As soon as the networks and local channels were added you had
commercials.  Your local cable TV provider covers its costs and makes its
money by charging you, selling some local advertisements and paying as little
for its video feeds as possible.   The money has to come from somewhere or it
is just not a viable business.  As for satilitte radio - you are paying a
premium for it.  Like an HBO, Cinemax or Action Channel.  Free radio is
available, but has commercials.

I guess my point is this - I love commercial skip, and I think the law is
wrong.  But if you assume that the channels are all the sudden not going to
become philanthropists and give away everything for free - the money has to
come from somewhere.

Why is "star trek" on tv?  Because Ruppert Murdock thinks Gene Roddenbery had
a vision and he wants to spend all his money on sharing it with the world?
Nope, because people will watch it, and if people are watching it then others
will pay them to put advertisements in.  That is where the money comes from.

Now, assuming that is correct (and I am not sure why it would not be), take a
world where *everyone* has commercial skip and the majority of users take
advantage of this feature:

Where will the money come from to produce these television shows?  I envision
(and without shrooms and or peyote this is the best I can do) a world with
three options:

* No more tv (not bloody likely)

* All paychannels.  Every channel you want would be priced like an HBO,
Cinemax, etc.

* This law goes into effect banning ads

* Embedded advertisements (and I think these are part of the future anyway).
They would work like this:

Script:

Detective #1:  Who's the stiff in the Doc Martin brand Doc Martins?

Detective #2:  I don't know, but aren't you wearing that new Armani
windbreaker they have down at WalMart this week for $19.99.

Detective #1:  Yeah, its a sweet deal.  I would not be caught dead without it.
It looks like our dead friend here god to enjoy one last refreshing diet coke
before she punched her ticket.

Detective #2: Speaking of tickets, did you know you can cross the country on
Greyhound for $56.99... well for a limited time anyway.

... and so on.  With product placement already spinning out of control, its
only a matter of time.

Its a sad, sad, money based world we live in.