[mythtv-users] MPEG2, avidemux and iDVD frustrations

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 22:23:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:08:15 -0500, Christopher Flynn
<flynnguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps someone can help me out as I'm fairly new to all the different
> video formats. I have a PVR-250MCE and it records to an MPEG2 stream
> right? Ok, now what I'm trying to do is burn a dvd of a show I
> recorded complete with menus. Now I know there are some linux
> tutorials out there but the problem is that my dvd burner is on my
> mac. Ok, so I tried to just rename the .nuv to .mpg and open it up in
> iDVD and burn it but that doesn't work because it's an unsupported
> file format. Some searching indicates that quicktime needs a $20
> plugin to read mpeg2 files. Ok, so I look at the linux tutorial and
> they say to use avidemux to demux to audio and video streams. This
> gives me a .m2v and an mp2 which I can display in quicktime but the
> sound isn't there. (because it's obviously in the mp2) I tried to find
> a way to tell iDVD and quicktime that there is sound and a video clip
> to no avail.
>
> I am starting to get really frustrated with this. Does anyone else out
> there use iDVD and if so what format do you convert your mpeg2's into
> and what programs do you use? I'm trying a bunch of different options
> but a 30 minute video clip takes forever to convert to another format.
> -Chris

Chris,

Can't help on the iDVD front (I had the same problem when I tried).

However, I can recommend DVDStyler. It is a decent Linux app that lets
you author video DVDs from mpeg2 files. It currently only supports 1
menu page, but it does what I need for burning most of my shows.

If you want more complex menus, you could try 'Q' DVD Author. Last
time I tried it, it wasn't quite as stable as DVDStyler, but it
definitely has more features.

http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net/
http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net/

I've also been working on some scripts of my own. I'd really like to
see DVD burning included as a native feature of Myth.

HTH,
Lane

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003