[mythtv-users] question for people using mythgame

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 23:34:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:06:01 -0500, Evan Burrows <eburrows at gmail.com> wrote:
> I raised this question a month and a half ago and dropped it because i
> got frustrated and couldn't get it working.  I tried multiple things
> that I found on google but havent had any luck getting my logitech
> dual action controller working or for that matter being recognized.
>
> I am running Fedora core 2 with a 2.6.8-1.521 kernel.  I don't know
> anything about gameports (or what they are) or anything about gaming
> under linux.  My wife wants to play all the old mario and zelda games
> on fceultra and has been on my case to get it working so I figured I
> should ask you guys to get the ball rolling.  I don't know which
> outputs you guys need to look at to help me out so just ask and I will
> post.  I am able to play fine my snes9x games through mythgame and can
> play them using my keyboard, but we all know how annoying it is to
> play a game with a keyboard.  If anyone can walk me from start to
> finish on how to get this working I would really appreciate it.  I
> believe that I modprobed everything that is needed and I believe
> everything that is needed has been compiled into the kernel, but I am
> usually wrong.  From what i heard in most posts is that all I would
> need to do is modprobe joydev, but that hasn't done it for me.  I
> qjoypad, or something like that, but it isn't detected any input
> controllers.

Is the gamepad you want to use connected via USB, or a gameport? (A
gameport is a 15 pin port that is similar to a serial port or parallel
port, but is about halfway in size between the two assuming you have 9
pin serial ports.) You mentioned joydev, so I'm assuming it's a USB
gamepad, because I think that joydev only is for USB pads. Otherwise,
I think there are other drivers you need to use. I am definately not
sure about that though, so if somebody else knows differently, feel
free to contradict me.

The first thing I would check is the output of dmesg (Or your messages
log), to see if there are any messages regarding the gamepad, either
recognizing it or complaining in some way. Once you make sure the OS
acknowleges that there is a gamepad attached, the jstest program can
help you make sure that it is working.  I am guessing that jstest
should probably be installed on your system, but I'm not 100% sure of
that.

I use a USB gamepad with a snes emulator under mythgame, but it's been
quite a while since I set it up. I don't remember if you have to pass
a command line option to the emulator to make it see the gamepad, or
if it autodetects it. You might want to check the command line options
for whichever snes emulator you use to make sure.

If none of that helps you, put up a copy of the output from the dmesg
command and maybe we can get a better idea of what's going on. If your
system logs a lot of messages, you'll want to make sure to do this
shortly after booting, or right after attaching the gamepad, or
at all when you loaded joydev?

Shawn Asmussen