[mythtv-users] question for people using mythgame

Evan Burrows eburrows at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 23:50:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:34:38 -0700, Shawn Asmussen
<shawn.asmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:06:01 -0500, Evan Burrows <eburrows at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I raised this question a month and a half ago and dropped it because i
> > got frustrated and couldn't get it working.  I tried multiple things
> > that I found on google but havent had any luck getting my logitech
> > dual action controller working or for that matter being recognized.
> >
> > I am running Fedora core 2 with a 2.6.8-1.521 kernel.  I don't know
> > anything about gameports (or what they are) or anything about gaming
> > under linux.  My wife wants to play all the old mario and zelda games
> > on fceultra and has been on my case to get it working so I figured I
> > should ask you guys to get the ball rolling.  I don't know which
> > outputs you guys need to look at to help me out so just ask and I will
> > post.  I am able to play fine my snes9x games through mythgame and can
> > play them using my keyboard, but we all know how annoying it is to
> > play a game with a keyboard.  If anyone can walk me from start to
> > finish on how to get this working I would really appreciate it.  I
> > believe that I modprobed everything that is needed and I believe
> > everything that is needed has been compiled into the kernel, but I am
> > usually wrong.  From what i heard in most posts is that all I would
> > need to do is modprobe joydev, but that hasn't done it for me.  I
> > qjoypad, or something like that, but it isn't detected any input
> > controllers.
> >

> Is the gamepad you want to use connected via USB, or a gameport? (A
> gameport is a 15 pin port that is similar to a serial port or parallel
> port, but is about halfway in size between the two assuming you have 9
> pin serial ports.) You mentioned joydev, so I'm assuming it's a USB
> gamepad, because I think that joydev only is for USB pads. Otherwise,
> I think there are other drivers you need to use. I am definately not
> sure about that though, so if somebody else knows differently, feel
> free to contradict me.

It is a usb Logitech dual action gamepad

> The first thing I would check is the output of dmesg (Or your messages
> log), to see if there are any messages regarding the gamepad, either
> recognizing it or complaining in some way. Once you make sure the OS
> acknowleges that there is a gamepad attached, the jstest program can
> help you make sure that it is working.  I am guessing that jstest
> should probably be installed on your system, but I'm not 100% sure of
> that.
>
> I use a USB gamepad with a snes emulator under mythgame, but it's been
> quite a while since I set it up. I don't remember if you have to pass
> a command line option to the emulator to make it see the gamepad, or
> if it autodetects it. You might want to check the command line options
> for whichever snes emulator you use to make sure.
>
> If none of that helps you, put up a copy of the output from the dmesg
> command and maybe we can get a better idea of what's going on. If your
> system logs a lot of messages, you'll want to make sure to do this
> shortly after booting, or right after attaching the gamepad, or
> at all when you loaded joydev?
>
> Shawn Asmussen

I just plugged the gamepad into a usb port and linux didn't say
anything (regarding detecting the device).  I ssh'd into my box and
did ran:
/sbin/modprobe joydev

No command executes with no apparent errors. I read that I should run
a menuconfig and make sure everything is enabled in the kernel.  I
looked through it all but I wasn't sure what (or if) there was to
change.  I am relatively new to the linux world so a lot of this stuff
is new to me. I didn't want to recompile the kernel stuff that wasn't
required or wrong.

I just ran dmesg and here looks to be the relevant part:
usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 2
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: ctrl urb status -2 received
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed

Hopefully this gives you guys a starting point for diagnosing my problem.

Is there anything special that I have to do in my XConfig file to get
the gampad working?

thanks