[mythtv-users] Going to rebuild my Mythbox

George Styles george at ripnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 13:28:09 UTC 2004

Whenever I re-build a system, i backup EVERYTHING onto a spare hdd as space
is so cheap these days, and it really helps to have a fall-back position.

Having said that, for MythTV in particular, you will be wanting to backup
the MySQL database which drives it.

I use the following to do this:

mysqldump mythconverg -u mythweb -pmythweb > mythconverg.dmp

Check that you put a valid username and pasword in there. This will produce
a file called mythconverg.dmp which you should burn to cd or whatever, whic
can be run against mysql after you restore to get everything back.

BEWARE - im not saying that this is ALL you should back up, but IMHO this is
most important if you want to keep your existing settings.

cheers