[mythtv-users] To TiVo or mythTV it

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 16:34:47 UTC 2004

Another reason to not tivo...
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/17/1538219&tid=129&tid=98&tid=17

Thomas Hawk writes "PVRblog is reporting today that TiVo will begin to
place banner advertisements on your screen when you are fast
forwarding. As one of the whole points for people getting a TiVo is to
remove obtrusive advertising, it seems like a really bad move to force
advertising on people at the exact moment that they are using your
technology to avoid advertising. This act points to the desperation of
TiVo and their management team and although it might help them in the
short run it will most certainly backfire in the long run." This is
ironic for a company whose slogan used to be "TV Your Way," but not
surprising, since its CEO says he wants to move to a largely
advertiser-supported revenue stream. I've bought three TiVos in the
past four years, but my next PVR will run MythTV -- unless HR2391
passes and makes me a criminal for skipping commercials.
--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi