[mythtv-users] transcoder settings

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Wed Nov 17 18:21:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 12:59, Myth wrote:
> I remember seeing this on the list a while back, but I can't find it in
> the archives.
> What are people using for transcoding from a PVR-250?
>     I record using the default myth settings and things look good, but
> take just over 2GB/hr.
>     Transcoding using default RTjpeg settings results in a bigger file
> than I started with.
>     Transcoding using default MPEG4 settings results in about .75GB/hr,
> but the quality is pretty low.

I don't remember the bitrates that I use, but I record 640x480 with my
PVR-250 at 2.25GB/hour and transcode to 640x480 MPEG4 at just under
1GB/hour (usually .7GB, but I normally use a cutlist to strip
commercials--I only transcode manually).

What is acceptable is very much a matter of taste.  Some people are far
more sensitive to digital compression effects than others.

My guess is that if I want to lower the bitrate further, I'll need to
lower the resolution first.

--PC