[mythtv-users] Preserving HDTV AC3 audio stream whilst transcoding

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Thu Nov 18 14:25:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 09:13, Doug Larrick wrote:
> I see this magnitude of difference on a Pentium 4 system between
> libavcodec being compiled with or without -march=pentium4.

I'm running Gentoo with everything optimized for my CPU (athlon-xp
2500+), and it plays HDTV fine.  I've heard others report that you need
something more powerful, and I've always suspected that the combination
of the latest gcc and the processor optimizations were critical to my
success.

If you're getting different performance with Myth, are you compiling it
with the same options?  If you're installing a binary package, is there
any indication that one may be optimized differently from the other?

--PC