[mythtv-users] SUID root might hang your myth box

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 17:48:30 UTC 2004

--- Phil Blundell <pb at nexus.co.uk> wrote:

> But, as you've discovered, if mythfrontend crashes
> in such a way that
> the playback thread is stuck in a tight loop, it
> will consume all the
> CPU time and no other task will ever be allowed to
> run.  Since this
> includes ssh and the shell, there is no way to kill
> the errant thread.
> The only way to regain control is to reset the
> machine.
>
> If you aren't experiencing any video playback
> problems, there is no
> benefit in making the executable setuid.  On the
> other hand, if Myth is
> working correctly, there should be no harm in making
> it setuid either.

And this is the oddest part.  My machine has no
playback problems, yet this hang occurs EVERY time I
try the SUID root trick, the INSTANT I try to play a
recorded show after making the change.  It is not
random or probabilistic at all -- it is an instant
hard freeze, every time I try it.

To make the change, I exit Mythfrontend and use SSH to
get into the box and change its SUID.  Then I restart
Mythfrontend, navigate to a show, and play it.  BANG.
Freeze up -- hard.  After I restart I reset
Mythfrontend back and lick my wounds.