[mythtv-users] New Australian XMLTV grabber

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Nov 19 04:07:32 UTC 2004

On 19/11/2004, at 7:06 AM, Brian May wrote:

> I wondered if you knew anything about the legal status of inserting TV
> guides (freely available on the Internet) into a database used for
> scheduling recording of TV shows, by an open source program?

There is an implied licence (that is to say, a copyright licence)
granted by Web site owners for people to surf them in the ordinary way.
  This arguably doesn't extend to Web scrapers and the like, unless you
have permission from the site owner.  It's a grey area.

However arguably the data doesn't qualify as an original "literary
work" so is incapable of copyright protection, or at least not by the
Web site owner.  At most, there may be copyright in the descriptions,
and this may be why the D1 service doesn't include them.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)