[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Set top Box

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Fri Nov 19 18:55:57 UTC 2004

> One more question if you don't mind. How is your MVP1000 getting to the
> Videos to play them?

Connects via an NFS mount.  The MVP1000 runs a really, really stripped
version of Linux.  The mvpmc project has taken the Hauppauge-supplied
"dongle.bin" file and altered it to include their own frontend software.
  The new dongle.bin file is then served to the MVP1000 when it does a
tftpboot (it is diskless, after all).

 > All of my videos for MythVideo are still MPEG2, so
> I think they would be fine. I already have two of the Hauppage grey
> remotes, so this solution "might" be exactly what I'm looking for.

Should be.  Comes with a remote though.

> Looking at the Hauppage website it obvisouly plugs into the network.
> Does the device connect to software on the host Windoze machine for
> getting to the videos?

If you're going to use it to do MythTV stuff, then it would connect to
your masterbackend - I don't run the supplied Windows "server"
application at all.  Never even installed it.  I've setup DHCP and TFTP
on my debian machine to replace the functionality of the Hauppauge software.

The MVP1000 understands enough of the MythTV protocol to do some basic
stuff.  When you first start and go into the "Watch Recordings" screen
it gives you a list of all your episodes.  You then select one, at which
point it gives you a listing of all the episodes of that program.
Select again, and you're off.

Again, you don't see the raw filenames - it'll translate them to the
actual program names and titles.