[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Set top Box

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Nov 19 19:22:39 UTC 2004

>>> "James Pifer" <jep at obrien-pifer.com> 11/19/2004 1:32:11 PM >>>
>Paul,
>
>Thanks for the info, but at the risk of looking really dumb, I'm
still
>confused by one point.

I was too, so don't feel bad.  I'm still figuring some of the details
of it
out, but it is working...

>You say you can play recorded shows, but then you say No
>prerecorded stuff. In my situation there isn't much difference,
>except that the files are stored in two different directories. The
>things I play in Mythvideo are mostly recordings that I've moved to
>MythVideo, because I wanted to keep them, and to keep my list
>of recorded shows to a manageable list. That being said, they are
>simply mpeg2 files.

Right now, there is one directory being mounted.  When I try to
mount any other directory than my /video/recordings directory
(where all my nuv's are), I get a blank screen with no sound.
I have two other directories in /video (buffers and prerecorded)
that are accessible to the ring buffer (for live tv) and MythVideo
(for video not recorded by Myth) respectively.  What you do
is what I do too, and I can't access the stuff I've moved out of
the recordings directoy because I want to keep it, and I don't
want it taking up 3gb/hr.

>Does the MVP1000 play shows recorded by mythtv?
>Assuming yes, does is just connect to them by mounting the
>directory with NFS?

Yep, that's the only thing I've been able to get it to do so far.
Yes, it makes a directory and does an nfsmount to there at
boot time from the mediamvp.

>How do you select which recording to view? (since a nuv file is a
>"coded" filename how do you know what you're viewing?) ("coded
>filename" is being used loosely here I know how it is derived)

It is very similar to a mythfrontend.  There is a list (Newest first,
oldest first, or specific shows).  It does not group them into
the show title (yet), it just shows all the shows Myth has recorded.
It has access to the mythconverge database, so it is doing the
decoding of file names to understandable filenames just like
on a regular Myth frontend.

>Sorry if I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well. I'm only
>interested in watching mythtv recorded shows and shows in
>mythvideo.
>Since they're all mpeg2 videos, I'm trying to understand how
>the mvp1000 is making the connection.

No problemo.  I had all these same questions, and another
guy on the list (bob k) was extremely helpful.  I figured
the only way to figure them out was to actually drop the
cash and do it hands on.  Now that I've done it, I'm trying to
help out with development in any way possible.

The absolute nicest thing about this whole activity, is all I
have to do is start the software on my windows box and
I can have regular (as intended by the manufacturer)
functionality in less than 5 minutes.  I don't even need to
stop dhcp or tftp on my linux box.  This process does absolutely
nothing to the mediamvp's firmware at all.  I could return this
or sell it to someone who doesn't run myth, and they would never
have a clue that I used mythtv to power this little thing.

>Thanks,
>James

Yep.
Paul