[mythtv-users] Advice Please!

Derek Jennings derek at disposable.dnsalias.org
Sun Nov 21 12:26:30 UTC 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 02:45, Ian Wilkinson wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I've been listening in here for a short while, and you guys seem to know
> what you're talking about so I have a couple of questions....
>
> Are there any DVB-T cards with CI/CAM slots? (failing that is there
> anyone who's got TopupTv working under Linux?)
> What DVB-T cards would you recommend?
> What Video cards (with TV output) would you recommend?
> Can you get a Widescreen Pal signal out of any Video cards?
> Is there support for saving and playback of Widescreen streams?
> Do you need two CAMs for two DVB-T cards?
> If you record an encrypted stream, do you need a CAM for playback?
> Or do you only need the CAM to record the stream?
>
> If there are no DVB-T cards with CI/CAM slots, are there any that can be
> modified to provide a slot?
>

> Thanks in advance, for any help and assistance.
>
> Ian Wilkinson

I have not tried getting a CAM working myself, but one approach you might like
to consider is to use a cheap external freeview receiver such as a Pace
DVTA-T which (now) supports a TopupTV card, and may be bought on ebay for
about £40.
 (The DVTA software needs upgrading to support TopupTV. This is done over the
'air')

MythTV supports managing external set top boxes via an infrared transmitter to
send commands and a video input port of your video card.
It might take a bit of time to get it working, but its a fairly cheap method.

derek