[mythtv-users] Advice Please!

Derek Jennings derek at disposable.dnsalias.org
Sun Nov 21 12:26:30 UTC 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 02:45, Ian Wilkinson wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I've been listening in here for a short while, and you guys seem to know
> what you're talking about so I have a couple of questions....
>
> Are there any DVB-T cards with CI/CAM slots? (failing that is there
> anyone who's got TopupTv working under Linux?)
> What DVB-T cards would you recommend?
> What Video cards (with TV output) would you recommend?
> Can you get a Widescreen Pal signal out of any Video cards?
> Is there support for saving and playback of Widescreen streams?
> Do you need two CAMs for two DVB-T cards?
> If you record an encrypted stream, do you need a CAM for playback?
> Or do you only need the CAM to record the stream?
>
> If there are no DVB-T cards with CI/CAM slots, are there any that can be
> modified to provide a slot?
>

> Thanks in advance, for any help and assistance.
>
> Ian Wilkinson

I have not tried getting a CAM working myself, but one approach you might like
to consider is to use a cheap external freeview receiver such as a Pace
DVTA-T which (now) supports a TopupTV card, and may be bought on ebay for
about 40.
 (The DVTA software needs upgrading to support TopupTV. This is done over the
'air')

MythTV supports managing external set top boxes via an infrared transmitter to
send commands and a video input port of your video card.
It might take a bit of time to get it working, but its a fairly cheap method.

derek