[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes

Buchanan, Paul (West) Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Tue Nov 23 17:21:43 UTC 2004

On Monday, November 22, 2004 8:40 PM, glen martin wrote:

> Ext3 is a bad idea.  It handles large deletes *very* poorly (i.e.
> you'll get even more IOBOUND errors when you delete large files while
> recording
> on Ext3.)  Try JFS instead.  Works just as well as XFS without the 90%
> full headaches.  JFS doesn't have all the fancy shrink/grow options
> like XFS does though...
>
> I've got an 850MHz PIII running LVM over software RAID5 on four 250GB
> SATA drives with three PVR-250's.  I don't have any IOBOUND problems
> using FC2 with Axel's latest Myth RPM's and ivtv-0.2.0-55_rc2j, even
> when running all 3 cards and moving two simultaneous 4GB files locally
> across partitions.  In my testing, once I started a third
> simulataneous large file, it started to block, but that stress test
> was beyond
> anything I've encountered in real life.  FWIW - With 100zz I did get
> IOBOUND errors, and the "stealing a buffer" message.  The buffering
> between those two versions is significantly different, and the 2.0rc2
> version is much better.  Oddly enough, with 100zz my backend wouldn't
> die immediately, and live TV usually still worked, but new recordings
> wouldn't start.  Restarting the backend would fix it, but it would
> always happen again in a day or two.  Upgrading to ivtv-0.2.0-55_rc2j
> fixed it for me.

I have been dreading switiching my filesystem to anything else, as I have no way of backing up my current set of recordings.  Loosing all of them is less than ideal.  JFS does sound like the next one to try though, as I have heard from others that ReiserFS isn't any better than XFS is with 90% full partions.

If a new ivit version will fix it, that would be my best solition.  I will give ivtv-0.2.0-55_rc2j a try and report back.  Thanks for the tip!

Paul