[mythtv-users] Re: Taking the plunge - check my proof?

Chris Vargas ceenvee at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 00:39:27 UTC 2004

--- Steve at comcast.net wrote:

> convinced myself to build a Myth to replace
> my CD changer and ReplayTV

Good decision... it'll be a little work but it will
pay off in the long run.

KnoppMyth is definitely an easy way to get things up
and running, although I believe you'll have to swap
out the default kernel with a (provided) SMP kernel
after it's running. I'm also pretty sure you won't be
able to install it onto a previously-configured RAID
setup, but you can get LVM working to allow 400 GB of
storage across your two drives. Check the KnoppMyth
wiki for info on LVM and how to set it up.

http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/

Info on IR blasters are there too. Anyhow, if then you
decide to try with Fedora Core 2 instead, at least
you'll have cut your teeth on some of the basic
install stuff.

I'd also recommend getting your VGA-out going first
and getting MythTV running, and then going back and
tackling TV-out and/or getting dual-output of TV and
VGA. Better to take one battle at a time.

Hope this helped.