[mythtv-users] Semi-OT - Netboot a mythfrontend?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Nov 25 04:42:50 UTC 2004

I know it's late the night before Thanksgiving in
the US...I've got a quick question.  I'm trying to
whip up a frontend to hook up to my main TV
tomorrow to show off MythTV to a bunch of
relatives.  I have a spare machine (just found
it yesterday, woohoo!), but it has no hard drive.
No biggie, I figure I can netboot it and keep it
quiet as well.  I've googled all over the place,
and I'm getting as far as the machine being able
to read its configuration/boot file.  Every place
on the 'net says that I need a boot image and an
initrd.  The problem is, I can't find one.  If
anyone has experience with doing net booting,
I'd really appreciate the help.  Oh, I'm running
FC2, kernel 2.6.8-1.521.  The target machine
is a P3 1ghz machine.  I figure it's good enough
to do frontend work...

Further to that, how do I build a myth frontend
that will load up over a net booted session?  I've
only ever done it via a local disk.  Come to think
of it, I've never done a netboot setup before
either, so I've got two battles to win before
tomorrow at 2pm...

Thanks,
Paul