[mythtv-users] firewire

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Fri Nov 26 05:07:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 15:13 -0500, Robert J. Adams wrote:
> Funny.. I was just getting ready to response and point this out. I don't
>   think the www.169time.com mod will have this issue. I'm pretty sure it
> passes everything unencrypted.

Heh - if you can try it and report back, that's another data point that
we'll all have...

> I assume you were CPU bound?

Yep.  Muchly so.  ;)

> Hrm.. wish I knew more about coding to help. ;(

Me too - I sent an email to Dan Dennedy (author of libavc1394) earlier
today to see if there's any chance of a new release with the code that
allows firewire to work.  With that, we can get an RPM of it.

After that?

. We can petition for a newer release of ddr1394 with autodetection of
different cable boxes.  With the amount of people on this list to try it
out, we can probably get a fair cross-section of cable boxes detected!
. If enough people can reliably (and easily) capture video over
firewire, there's a good chance that one of the developers might want to
take a look into it
. After that, we can move the conversation over to the -dev list and see
where it goes from there.

Note that I'm not trying to eliminate the need for the pcHDTV 2000/3000
cards - it's just that I live in an apartment, so I can't put up an
antenna!

	-I