[mythtv-users] Re: Myth + Debian or Myth + Redhat 9 or Myth + Gentoo

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 28 08:27:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 04:52:56PM -0800, Jim Gifford wrote:
> I have tried everything I could with Fedora, to get things working. I
> know it's not MythTV's problem on these issues, I just want to get it
> working so I can take advantage. If you wondering what I'm talking about
> check the message titled Install Problems
>
> How stable is Gentoo installation of MythTV?
>    Any good how-to's?

I've had pretty good luck with Gentoo.  Once you have the base system (with
X and a window manager of some sort) installed, "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 emerge
mythtv" builds MythTV 0.16 for you fairly painlessly.  There's a FAQ at
mythtv.org that goes through the steps involved in getting MythTV running on
various distros, and the instructions provided for Gentoo appear to be the
simplest of the lot (other than just grabbing Knoppmyth and running that).

The ease of maintaining/updating the rest of the system is also a nice
bonus, and when you figure that all of my other Linux boxen at home and at
work run Gentoo, it was pretty much a no-brainer.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter