[mythtv-users] Re: Fedora Myth(TV)ology turns 3

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Nov 28 15:18:16 UTC 2004

Jarod, thanks for the doc update!

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:43:15PM +0100, Franco wrote:
> > Give it a go, see what I missed... :-)
> > http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
>
> I see that you are going to discontinue your FC2 guide, the same
> way as you did with your FC1 guide. This means that first or later
> we will all need to switch to FC3. (see below)
>
> So my question is: was it really necessary to switch to FC3 ?  And
> then to FC4, etc etc?

FC1 and kernels 2.4 in general are not supported by developments in
v4l2 drivers, the most striking one being that cx88 will not build
anymore on kernel 2.4.

> We all know that each subsequent release of the software has higher
> hardware requirements and makes things slower unless you have a
> faster CPU.

That's not true, in fact kernel 2.6 will ease on your resources, both
CPU and image size.

> In a few words: a mythbox which was designed with certain hardware
> specifications, won't be able to be upgraded FOREVER with new
> versions of the OS.

I wouldn't agree, but in case it cannot be upgraded, why do you care?
If you have your FC1 system running and know that you don't want to
upgrade to FC4, then let FC1 continue do its job (but keep the
security issues in mind).

> If you abandon FC2 (as well as FC1) users on their own, first or
> later they will fall in one or more of these: [...]
> Of course I'm not asking you to maintain multiple HOWTOs,

But you could volunteer to maintain the older ones (submit doc fixes
to Jarod), if you have the demand. Jarod will focus on using FC3, he
cannot possibly dedicate a mythbox for each EOLed distro ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net