[mythtv-users] Does transcoding remove commercials?

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Mon Nov 29 03:28:01 UTC 2004

Don Brett wrote:

>Hi, I'm fairly confused.  Does MythTv have a feature that removes
>commercials from a recorded .nuv file (i.e. rewrite the original file
>commercial-less) keeping the original mpeg2 format?  Is it done with
>transcoding?  This thread implies that MythTv doesn't do this.
>
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/88006?search_string=how%20to%20transcode;#88006
>
>Thanks,
>Don

Yes, transcoding removes commercials IF you have a cut list, which is
created when you use Edit (press E while viewing a movie).  You can then
load commercials flagged by pressing Z.  After that, you navigate around
and change or delete the cut points to suit your needs.  I find I have
to slightly manipulate the cut-points to get it to cut everything, but
it is a really good starting point.  After that, make sure the transcode
settings are the same as the original quality that you recorded with,
then go to Watch Recordings, choose the recording you edited, press the
right arrow (assuming you are a luser with a keyboard like me) and
choose "Begin Transcoding".  Will take anywhere between 5 minutes and an
hour, depending on the size and what else is going on with your system.
I just did this with a bunch of James Bond movies and I cut an hour
(more or less) out of each recording!!!  That is a LOT of disk space saved.

Matt